[TowerTalk] Bobtails

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Bobtails
From: k4ldr@sunco.com (Peter J. F. Shaw)
Date: Sat, 29 Aug 1998 10:48:41 -0400
Greetings:

In Nov '94 (in Atlanta area), I put up a derivitive of the bobtail;
the "half-square" for 40M.
First CW contact on the first call was 3B8CF with a hundred watts thru
the East coast calling curtain.  I thought that was a fluke but over
time I determined that it really wasn't a fluke.  It is an effective
low effort, low cost antenna.    Abt 3.1 dbd gain with a low radiation
angle.  Really an easy and KISS antenna; some wire,  3 insulators, and
some tree rope.  Thought  I had a problem when there was no noticable
SWR meter deflection on initial test.   I hit the wire length
dead-on-the-money for 7040KHz.  Saw the writeup in CQ mag, Spring of
'94 (I think).   Have moved since then and will put up same ant for
contest season here in Citrus County, FL.

73  Pete K4LDR