[TowerTalk] Tower Base

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Tower Base
From: ni6w@yagistress.minden.nv.us (Kurt Andress)
Date: Sun, 30 Aug 1998 15:59:17 -0700
Robert A Shaw wrote:

> I have installed a Tristao crank-up, tilt over tubular tower.  This tower
> is
> similar in appearance to the U.S. Tower MA-40.  The tower is forty feet
> and
> is mounted on a rotator base. The base is a  section that is buried
> in the ground .  The base relies on four fins that extend the length of
> the
> base into the ground to anchor the tower.  The base is not in concrete
> but
> in packed sand.  I am installing a Force 12 C3S on the tower.  Is this
> tower
> safe to support the antenna?  Should I pour a concrete base and guy the
> tower?  I will keep the tower cranked down to the 20 foot level except in
> operation .  I am located within two miles of the Gulf of Mexico in
> hurricane prone panhandle Florida.

Hi Bob.
I saw this request before. The reason I, and I'm sure many others, avoided
trying to answer your questions, is that we have far to little information to
provide a valuable answer! We have no information on the tower design
specification, nor any clear knowledge of the antenna loads to be expected
from the antenna.
Please contact the tower and antenna manufacturers to get the information
required to answer your questions. Enlisting the service of a local P.E. will
also be required to ensure that your installation conforms to the municipal
code cited by your local planning authority.

73, Kurt

--
YagiStress - The Ultimate Software for Yagi Mechanical Design
Visit http://www.freeyellow.com/members3/yagistress