[TowerTalk] Butternut HV6

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Butternut HV6
From: wa3gin@erols.com (David Jordan)
Date: Fri, 04 Sep 1998 22:07:13 -0400

Hi Folks,

I picked up an old HV6 and plan to use it on my motor coach. I took it
apart just to see how bad the corrosion would be...it was real bad. Two
sections of aluminum were just
about welded together. When I did get the tubing apart the sections were
pitted pretty badly.  This vertical has high voltage ceramic capacitors
(silver coated terminals). Where
these capacitors were connected to the aluminum straps there was
actually a hard white
substance that I had to file to get down to clean aluminum. The silver
was OK but the aluminum was heavily crusted.

I have to imagine this antenna wouldn't work very well after several
years of service...at least if the original installation didn't include
some anti-oxidation grease on the connections.

later,
dave