[TowerTalk] 1) Lightning & 2) Trylon towers

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] 1) Lightning & 2) Trylon towers
From: jccrtv@jccrtv.com (jccrtv@jccrtv.com)
Date: Sun, 6 Sep 1998 11:52:16 -0400
I'd like to ask the reflector gang for opinions/experience with two things:

1) My future tower HAS to be next to the house because of
permit/property-dimensions. Can someone with a similar setup tell me how
they faired over the years with lightning? Even with ADC surge protection on
all our work gear at the house (telephones, too) we've lost equipment due to
nearby strikes, and that's without a tower next to the house. Now we shut
down and unplug all of our work gear everytime a storm comes through. I plan
to have quick disconnects on all the lines from my tower, too. What has been
your experience with a tower next to the house, and lightning?

2) Your impressions of a Trylon tower? I know it's strong, any comments
positive or negative? in a major storm? Is it too commercial looking for
someone in a residential area who can get away with only one, low-profile
tribander?

Thanks!

Jim - KS1A/2