[TowerTalk] Bending aluminum - the answer

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Bending aluminum - the answer
From: smlx@earthlink.net (Steve Lawrence)
Date: Thu, 10 Sep 1998 20:04:22 -0800
Thanks to all who responded to my question on how to bend aluminum tuning
and avoid collapse. Thanks: KE2LJ, KN6DI, N1RUI, W4WDN, K9OFG, NO6X,
WA7MIG, KH7R, KZ5Q, K4XL, N1SR, W7WHY, AA4Z, NI6W, N7CL, and VE3AD.

Advice was:

1) use an EMT hickey

2) fill it with sand first

3) fill with 150 deg cerablend; bend when cooled, reheat to remove

4) freeze water inside the tube before bending

I had to bend 1/2 inch tubing with 1/16 inch wall. I used masking tape to
seal one end and a funnel to fill the tube with sand. Then more tape to
seal the other end. The tubing bent in an electrician's hickey like a
charm. I used canned air to blow any residual sand out of the tube.

Again - thanks to all. 73, Steve WB6RSE