[TowerTalk] 20 meter and 40 meter beams

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] 20 meter and 40 meter beams
From: n3rr@erols.com (Bill Hider, N3RR)
Date: Sun, 13 Sep 1998 14:53:39 +0100
Everett,

Based on your statement that you "work DX most of the time", I'll assume
you want to optimize your DX work.  I'll also assume you have fairly
"level" terrain for 10 wavelengths around your tower.  That said, I think
you're on the right track.

The 40 M beam just begins to "work" at 100 feet and will work better at 125
ft.

The optimum height for a 20M beam for "DX" work is 100 ft, no higher, no
lower. (There are minor exceptions for extremely low angle work, but
probably not worth considering since you can't go up to 200 ft).  That
said, 20M is probably going to be better at 105 than 125, although you can
model this and get the exact difference and see the takeoff angle of the
lowest lobe.  That lobe will be lower at 125 than 105 feet, so you'll have
to see if your stack will allow you to have the angles you need for the
propagation you want to achieve.  This is probably more important in
contest work than DXing, so you'll be "OK".

Placing your lower antenna at 45 feet is only a little bit low (52.5 ft
would be perfect), but I doubt you'll see any difference. Be sure you phase
them properly.  (More on this in another message if you need it.)

Sounds like you'll have a nice setup there.

Question, why not put the 40 at 135 ft?  At that height it would be 1
wavelength high and perform even better!!  I have my upper 40M beam at 134
ft!  Check out my web site: http://www.erols.com/n3rr

73

Bill, N3RR