[TowerTalk] Type of bolts for aluminum tower

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Type of bolts for aluminum tower
From: w7ni@teleport.com (Stan Griffiths)
Date: Sun, 13 Sep 1998 15:34:37 -0700
Hi Steve,

This is a great example of a good question to put to the manufacturer and
apparently you are trying to do just that.

With no more data that you have right now, I would think that the most
important consideration is corrosion between dissimilar metals, especially
corrosion of the tower aluminum where the bolts go through the legs.  Minimum
corrosion occurs when the two metals in question are close together on the
table of "galvanic action" you can find in most chemistry textbooks.  You
will find aluminum and iron (steel, stainless or otherwise) to not be very
close together.  You will find aluminum and zinc to be quite close.  Since
the two metal that touch each other will be zinc and aluminum if you use
galvanized bolts, that would be my choice.  If you pick aluminum and
stainless steel, the aluminum tends to turn to white powder over time . . .

Stan  w7ni@teleport.com

66'9k'?:'<@'7:'h;'jj'7:'8m'=;':h'j@'@7'?i'=9'm<'jh