[TowerTalk] Bending rebar

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Bending rebar
From: sawyers@inav.net (Steven H. Sawyers n0yvy)
Date: Mon, 14 Sep 1998 09:33:05 -0500
Generally it is best not to but sharp bends in rebar. Minimum recommended
bend radius is about 6 - 8 times the bar diameter. If you bend it sharper
than
you risk getting cracks in the outside edge.

Rebar is generally not that great a material - it is just much stronger in
tension
than the concrete we bury it in.

My preferred bending tool is an electricians hickey or conduit bender. I have
manual sizes up through 1" conduit which with an extra long handle and
a few friends have successfully bent 3/4 inch rebar. Anything bigger, and I
find
a shop with a power bender.

de n0yvy steve