[TowerTalk] N/C/BNC/TNC Connectors

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] N/C/BNC/TNC Connectors
From: w8ji.tom@MCIONE.com (w8ji.tom)
Date: Tue, 22 Sep 1998 08:56:06 -0400
> "N" and "C" connectors (remember them?) had as their letters the initial
of
> their designer's surname. I think that BNCs and TNCs were joint efforts
> (Bayonet and Thread) between "Mr N" and "Mr C".
>
> This sounds very twee and unlikely, but it's stuck in my mind.
>
> Maybe some TowerTalkian can set the record straight.

Gladly. I have no idea how silly rumors like that get started.

BNC stands for Big Nose Chuck or Big Nose Collingwood, information is
somewhat sparse which is correct. That connector was "invented" by Charles
"Big Nose" Collingwood for a suitcase radio used by CIA agents to receive
USIA info. Since it was for the CIA, all documentation was sealed for
years.

TNC comes from the name of his arch Russian rival, Nanook "Thin Nose"
Chekoff, the famous Eskimo turned Russian electronics expert who worked for
what we affectionately call the KGB.

C connectors were invented in Spain. Someone asked the inventor if the
connector had a name, and he said. "C Senior!"

N was never named. Because it has no name, they author had no idea why it
was called "N".

This information comes directly from 73 Magazine, one of our most
technically astute publications. Hope it helps.

73 Tom