[TowerTalk] For reasons of stealth and other nonsense....

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] For reasons of stealth and other nonsense....
From: w8ji.tom@MCIONE.com (w8ji.tom)
Date: Thu, 24 Sep 1998 06:50:23 -0400
Hi Lane,

> My question: is a 1/4 wave the optimum length for an L? Some folks have
> suggested going with 3/8 wavelength instead.

Loop radiation resistance and efficiency are generally maximized when the
highest average current appears over the entire length of the radiator.
That would mean, with a 1/4 wl vertical section, ideal overall length would
be about 3/16 wl. The better the ground system, the shorter the antenna can
be for max efficiency and vice versa.

All of this is like counting Angels on the head of a pin, however. No one
will notice the difference in your signal unless the antenna has a very
poor ground system.

With a tuner, the 160 L will work fairly well on higher bands. I used one
with good results many years ago on a city lot. Keeping it in the clear and
using a good ground system are more important than fussing with length.

73 Tom