[TowerTalk] Several questions :-)

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Several questions :-)
From: n4zr@contesting.com (Pete Smith)
Date: Mon, 28 Sep 1998 08:53:17 -0400
At 06:32 AM 9/28/98 -0600, T A RUSSELL wrote:

>>3) If stacking tri-banders, I will have to live with a height
>>separation
>>that is not optimal for all three bands.  Does anyone believe that
>>this is a
>>major problem?  Has anyone modeled a two stack of small tri-banders,
>>and
>>convinced themselves that the separation issue has a major or minor
>>effect.
>>Remember, I am selecting the stack in part because of the extra db of
>>gain -
>>if I am going to burn that db because of non-optimal separation, it
>>would
>>matter.  Has anyone stacking tri-banders on a crank-up played games
>>with
>>lowering the tower to get better separation on 10 or 15 meters -
>>modeling
>>the net effect of the lower height vs better separation?
>>
>       Your best solution here is to model it, or find someone
>       who already has done so.  (Ask N6BT)

See my article in July-August 96 NCJ for a first attempt at modeling a C-3
stack.  My results tended to indicate that a spacing of about 28 feet gave
a decent compromise between gain on 20 and degradation of F/B ratio on 15.
The 10-meter case is pretty far outside the normal stacking range anyway
(almost a full wave).

I also recently looked at a 3-high stack of C-3s with the antennas only
about 20 feet apart, thinking that I might get better performance on 15 and
10, then "cut out" the middle one on 20.  Trouble is that you can
disconnect the feedline but all those resonant or near-resonant elements
are still there, so the 20-meter performance looks terrible.

My current plan, for whatever it's worth, is to install a C-4XL at 97 feet
-- building it now -- and stack a C-3 at 69.  Since the 10-20 meter
sections are identical, that should give me good 10-40 meter performance.
I know Tom'll say I need a third C-3 down at 35 feet or so, but one thing
at a time!

73,  Pete Smith N4ZR
In wild, wonderful, only middlin' rare WEST Virginia