[TowerTalk] TH6DXX Problem?

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] TH6DXX Problem?
From: k1vr@juno.com (Fred Hopengarten)
Date: Thu, 01 Oct 1998 11:46:58 EDT
From:
Fred Hopengarten  K1VR               781/259-0088
Six Willarch Road
Lincoln, MA 01773-5105
permanent e-mail address:  fhopengarten@mba1972.hbs.edu

On Wed, 30 Sep 1998 23:41:34 -0400 (EDT) Mike Sims <nasfred@1bigred.com>
writes:

>The TH6DXX problem is too much reflected power (100 w reflected for
>1000
>watts indicated forward) on 15 meters

K1VR:  The usual problems with a TH6 (whether 15, 20 or 10 meters) are
something IN the trap -- or the trap.  Here are my experiences:

*       On one occasion I found a carbon path on the coil form and a
broken wire. Fix:  Stretched the wire 1/4 inch and filed out the carbon
path. It has been fine ever since.

*       I've also found critters, or rather the shells of critters.  I
don't know what it was, but it looked like the shell of a moth.
Sometimes bugs just get into a trap and you must  simply use compressed
air to clean the trap.

*       And then there is the rain problem.  Some TH6's collect rain in
the bottom of the outer trap cap. A small drill hole on bottom side of
the outer end (so that the natural droop makes this the place that water
collects) solves the problem, but also creates a place for critters to
enter. I drill the holes and clean the traps once a decade, whether I
need to or not.

I've never heard of a TH6 problem that wasn't one of those three (except
for two other types of problem which come to mind, but they aren't cause
problems on all three bands, not just one).

                                Fred K1VR

Or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866]