[TowerTalk] Tower Base and rebar

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Tower Base and rebar
From: kk6t@joneslumber.com (Terry Dunlap)
Date: Fri, 02 Oct 1998 09:46:34 -0700
Don't make it so difficult folks.  Go to you local building materials
yard and buy some 3" dobie blocks with wires.  These are 3" square blocks
with tie wires inbedded in them made for just your requirement -- to keep
the rebar 3" above the bottom of the hole.  Just tie them to the bottom of
your cage and set the cage in the hole.

73 de Terry KK6T

At 10:40 PM 10/1/98 EDT, you wrote:

>Two questions for the assembled multitude
>
>1. The drawing for my tower base shows the rebar cage stopping 3 in short of
>the bottom of the concrete block. Any thoughts on how to provide this
spacing.
>I am wondering how I keep the rebar assembly in place whilst the concrete is
>poured around it if the rebar doesn't sit on and get attached to the
bottom of
>the hole somehow.
>
>2. I have read that you should not pour concrete from a height greater than
>about 4 ft. The hole for my base is 6 ft deep so how do I address this
>dilemma. I have read also that one solution is to have the concrete placed
>using a pump. How does this work.
>
>Thanks in advance for your thoughts
>Dan K9EA
>
>--