[TowerTalk] C-3 VS C-3S

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] C-3 VS C-3S
From: n4kg@juno.com (T A RUSSELL)
Date: Sat, 3 Oct 1998 06:11:35 -0600

From: n4kg@juno.com (T A RUSSELL)
To: amaertz@oppd.com
Cc: n4kg@juno.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] C-3 VS C-3S
To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Date: Thu, 1 Oct 1998 02:02:32 -0600

On Wed, 30 Sep 1998 09:36:00 -0500 "MAERTZ, A REID" <amaertz@oppd.com>
writes:

>Greetings to all:
>
>In researching Force-12 I note the stated difference between a C-3 and
>C-3S as a 1.5 mhz bandwidth on C-3 vs. a 1.1 mhz bandwidth on C-3S
on 10 meters; also a higher swr on the C-3S on 12 meters (4:1 vs. 3.2:1).
>There also are some differences in gain and f/b ratio, but these
>appear to be reasonably insignificant.  Given the advantage of the
>smaller size of the C-3S when compared to the C-3, it seems hardly
>worthwhile to go with the fullsize C-3. Is this a reasonable assumption?

        Makes sense to me.  de  N4KG

>I'd really appreciate hearing from those who've used the C-3S and/or
>those who have seen on-the-air comparisons of the two antennas.  I'm
>considering replacing a TA-33 on a 40 foot tower (I know...many of you
>consider ANYTHING as being an impovement over the TA-33!)
>
>Thanks a lot for your time and responses.
>
>Reid
>W0FVR

Hi Reid,

Both antennas have 2 active elements per band.

The C3 uses a director on 10M and reflectors on 15 and 20M.
You can get extra gain on 10M by adding a 10M reflector.
This extra 10M gain is especially beneficial when stacking C3's.
There are no interaction problems lining up single band reflectors.

Adding lower frequency directors is a problem because they act
as inefficient reflectors in front of the antenna  on the higher bands.

That is why everyone else uses trapped directors.  Para-sleeved
elements and forward staggering of interlaced elements are other
ways of avoiding destructive interactions in multiband multi element
antennas.

The C3S uses reflectors on all 3 bands and appears to offer  the
most gain for it's  size.  This would seem to be one of the best
antennas for DXpedition / portable use due to it's light weight
and low wind load and torque, allowing for a minimal support
structure (i.e. push up mast).   A full size 2L Yagi comes within
1 dB of a short boom full size 3L Yagi.  With trap losses and
other compromises, the full size C3S should have equal or
more gain  than most small 3L  trapped tribanders

73 / GL,  Tom  N4KG

don't need to buy Internet access to use free Internet e-mail. Get
completely free e-mail from Juno at http://www.juno.com Or call Juno at
(800) 654-JUNO [654-5866]

Or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866]