[TowerTalk] W8JK / HB9CV / ZL special ?

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] W8JK / HB9CV / ZL special ?
From: perring@texas.net (Bob Perring)
Date: Mon, 05 Oct 1998 03:32:54 -0500
At 20:26 10/4/98 , Morrison Hoyle wrote:

>I am looking for some practical design and construction information
>to build a compact 2 element horizontally polarised antenna for 20
>metres.
================================>
I think it was QST back in 1965, or so, an article called "The ZL Special"
Used bamboo as the elements, with 75 ohm twin lead taped to the bamboo.
Wooden frame to support it all.
Fed straight with 75 ohm coax.
Today, we would impedance change down to 50 ohms, I suppose.
I built one for 15 meters.
A friend of mine built one for 20 meters.
I remember them working quite well.
Of course, I didn't really know what a "good" antenna truly was back then.
N5RP