[TowerTalk] ALUMINUM MASTS

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] ALUMINUM MASTS
From: thompson@mindspring.com (thompson@mindspring.com)
Date: Thu, 8 Oct 1998 10:25:07 -0400

Many in the Atlanta area have used heavy wall aluminum from Tull Metals.
They make a 20' piece with heavy wall that approaches structural steel.  The
weight is less than half but costs a little more (or did...everyone tells me
that aluminum went up a lot the past several years).

One installation (K4URK now SK) mounted Hy-gain 5 el 10, 15, and 20's and it
withstood one tornado.  His installation looked so good that several others
bought the same piece.

Tull (I buy from them for two space programs) tells me that this same mast
is sold to commercial and military in both 6061 and 7075 specs..that 7075 is
twice as much if you can get it.  Last price I had for the 6061 20' was $282
(1992).

Dave K4JRB