[TowerTalk] To Rivet or not to Rivet?

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] To Rivet or not to Rivet?
From: dlhough@vegas.infi.net (dlhough@vegas.infi.net)
Date: Sun, 11 Oct 1998 19:32:49 -0700

> As we found out with the X9, which uses the same boom to mast arrangement,
> it would be better to completely assemble it on the ground and just insert
> the mast U bolts on the tower.
>
> The "cradle" idea looks good in print, but it's complexity is not wonderful
> for the installer on the tower.
>
> George
> W2VJN

        I'd like the opportunity to offer another opinion, if it matters any.
We put up an X7. Looked at the "boom shelf", as Chushcraft calls it,
arrangement and thought it a terrific idea both before putting it up and
after. We've done some work on the antenna since it's been up and the
"boom shelf" enabled the boom to be slid back and forth so each of the
elements could be attended.

        The antenna was lifted and placed by crane. All the operator had to do
was get it above me and from there it was easy to set it down on the
shelf. Once it was sitting on the shelf breathing and heartbeat once
again commenced.

        It seems to me that if you do it correctly, you can't help but like it.
Its structural advantage over U bolts is also obvious, there is no
pinching on the boom and its much less subject to twisting on the mast.

73
Dave Hough, KC7DM
Las Vegas