[TowerTalk] remote antenna switch

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] remote antenna switch
From: w8ji.tom@MCIONE.com (w8ji.tom)
Date: Mon, 12 Oct 1998 11:22:59 -0400
Hi Brian,

> I would like to buy a 6 position remote antenna switch to attach at the
top of
> my tower.  It must be able to handle high power.  I am not concerned
about cost
> (within reason).  If one is not available commercially I will build one.

What is high power? What frequency range?

The RCS-8V is a pretty darned good value. While rated at 5 kW...it will
handle 10 kW into 50 ohms if you replace the connectors with PTFE, but it
is only five positions.

If the application is for more than 10 kW, or high line VSWR's, use bigger
relays and avoid connectors of any type (at HF).

At powers above 25-50 kW, or high SWR's at VHF-UHF, you probably need a
motorized switch with EIA flange connectors.

73 Tom