[TowerTalk] Extra 10m Element for C3 ??

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Extra 10m Element for C3 ??
From: zettel@homer.libby.org (Steve Zettel)
Date: Tue, 13 Oct 1998 15:55:54 -0600 (MDT)
Hi, Ken

I added the "C3E" 10M reflector to all three of my C-3 antennas. I went
the big-bucks route and bought the elements, brackets and hardware from
F-12, all pre-drilled and ready to go. Figured I was also paying them for
their RDTE and measurements, too. Basically, the new element is
mounted 65" from the back end (20M reflector end) of the boom. Still
leaves plenty of room for sidemounting on Rohn 45G, and doesn't upset
balance too much.

Modelling shows a slight increase in gain, and a significant increase in
F/B ratio. Subjectively, this is borne out in on the air testing. I didn't
do much A-B C-3 to C-3E testing since I wanted to get the antennasback up
on the tower.

A fellow could probably save some money and make his own 10M reflector;
I'll see if I can dig up my notes and measurements in the mess I
laughingly call a shack. When I was going through the modelling with Brian
Beezley's (K6STI) AO 6.5, there were several combinations of boom location
and element lengths that gave good results. The factory recommendations
gave the most separation from the tower for the lower two antennas in my
3-stack.

73,

Steve Zettel  KJ7CH
near Libby, MT USA