[TowerTalk] Driving ground rod

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Driving ground rod
From: w2up@mindspring.com (Barry Kutner)
Date: Wed, 14 Oct 1998 22:45:14 -0000

On 14 Oct 98,, Jepilot@aol.com <Jepilot@aol.com> wrote:

> Mike - we have lots of clay in our soil in South Texas and I recently followed
> the advice given by a ham in Houston, Texas in the Hints and Kinks column of
> QST a couple of years ago.  First dig a small hole where you want to install
> the ground rod.  The hole should be about 6 inches deep and about 8 to 10
> inches in diameter.  Fill the hole with water and start driving the rod.
> After about 8 inches or so, pull the rod out to let the water fill the hole,
> the reinsert rod and hammer some more for another 8 inches or so, pull the
> rod, let the water flow down the hole, and so on.  Obviously add water as
> needed.  The rod will pull out very easily even when four or five feet deep.
> The technique also makes driving the rod in much easier.  Works great for our
> soil conditions much to my surprise.  I suspect the water reduces the side
> wall friction of the hole.  Jan (water that hole) Rehler, W5KNZ, Corpus
> Christi, Texas

I don't know if the water method is a good idea. It makes the hole
bigger, and reduces the surface area of contact between the rod
and the ground. This surface area is proportional to its conductivity.
When I sledge hammer the rod down, once I get about 2 feet in, I
can't pull it out. To me, that means a lot more contact.
Barry
Newtown, PA         FRC         alternate: barry@w2up.wells.com