[TowerTalk] Re: Thrust Bearing for Al Masts

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Re: Thrust Bearing for Al Masts
From: k5ed@dzn.com (Ed Jensen)
Date: Thu, 15 Oct 1998 10:39:20 -0600
Hi Kurt and gang,

Thrust bearings don't have to be so expensive.   HamMs are made to support a
thousand pounds down thrust so you just need something to take the side
thrust.  I use a home brew equivalent to the Rohn AB thrust bearing, a
length of pressure treated 2x6 spray painted silver after being drilled to
fit the mast.  Sturdy and won't abrade the mast.  Cost a couple of bucks.

Re Steve's weight smeight comment: I haul all my masts and antennas to the
top of the tower with a rope and then have to lift them overhead to install
them.  Weight matters to weaky guys like me!

73, Ed

Ed Jensen, K5ED, El Paso, TX, k5ed@dzn.com