[TowerTalk] Recent threads - plus & minus

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Recent threads - plus & minus
From: K7LXC@aol.com (K7LXC@aol.com)
Date: Sat, 17 Oct 1998 11:43:59 EDT
Greetings, TowerTalkians --

      TowerTalk is a wonderful resource when it comes to HF antenna and tower
topics. It is unmoderated which means that everything happens in realtime.
This also means that anyone can say anything they want. This is supposed to
encourage the free exchange of information. And most of the time, that's what
happens.

     Recently a thread about concrete degraded into a couple of personal
attacks that were posted to the 1100 members of TowerTalk. Another one was a
discussion of Kurt N. Sterba that developed into a defense of TowerTalk's open
forum and other passionate posts ("hit the delete key", etc.). These personal
attacks and off-topic discussions are not only inappropriate but also are rude
to the person under attack and the rest of us who have to put up with the
unnecessary and unwanted bandwidth.

     For those of you who posted something recently but have not seen it
appear on TowerTalk (appropriate or not), some additional filter words have
been added to keep them off of the reflector by Bill, W4AN, who is the owner
of the server and contesting.com. It is through Bill's generosity that this
reflector exists here. Regardless of my personal feelings on the posts, the
topics and the persons involved, Bill has pre-empted my function as TowerTalk
administrator by taking it upon himself to squelch the discussions through his
sysop abilities. He has offered to take over the administration duties and I'm
going to let him do that.

     A reflector takes on the personality of its administrator. Anyone who
subscribes to other ones knows that is true. Bill's attitude is different from
mine and TowerTalk will be different under his control.

     The last 2-1/2 years of TowerTalk have been fun, interesting and
frustrating - sometimes at the same time! My thanks to everyone for their
comments, contributions and support.

Cheers,  Steve   K7LXC