[TowerTalk] SWR curves and the TH7

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] SWR curves and the TH7
From: Ted.Boerkamp.boerkamp@nt.com (Ted Boerkamp)
Date: Mon, 19 Oct 1998 10:42:57 -0400
hello everyone....I spent last saturday afternoon assembling my TH7
tribander in the backyard on saw horses (cant wait to get up on top
of the tower!!!)...for the heck of it, I connected an MFJ259 analyzer
to it to check out the swr curves.....10 and 15 meters seemed to show
a pretty reasonable set of curves but 20 meters was totally out to lunch

(high swr everywhere)....for an experiment, I propped up the TH7 so
it was standing vertical aimed at the sky (reflector sitting on
grass)...
now the readings changed....15 and 20 meters were nice curves but
10 meters  changed (low swr point shifted way up in freq)....i realize
that
when this beam goes up, the readings will probably fall into proper
place but are my observations on the ground correct??? or what should
I expect to see??....I guess I am curious as to what other people have
noticed in these situations.....thanks again for everyone's help during
the
course of my installation project, hopefully I can get a crew together
soon to raise this beam up to its final resting place.....73 Ted VE3SS