[TowerTalk] BIG GUN SIGNAL

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] BIG GUN SIGNAL
From: w8ji.tom@MCIONE.com (w8ji.tom)
Date: Tue, 20 Oct 1998 08:43:42 -0400
Hi Joe,

> I also remember that there were lots of R7 antenna failures on 30-meters
> when the R7 antenna was first released. All of the failures were traced
> hams running at least 500 watts. We had never checked the antenna for
high
> power on 30-meters and sure enough, when we did, it blew at 500-watts. We
> quickly redesigned the trap for 1500 Watts, just in case the power limit
is
> increased some day!
>
> Remember that most contacts on 30-meters don't count for anything DX wise
> (unless it's a brand new country for you on any band!) so let's keep it a
> sporting band and keep the power down in the USA to the FCC limit of 200
> Watts!

You'd be surprised at how many complaints amplifier manufacturers get about
not being able to run 1500 watts plus out on 30 meters.

I learned my lesson on this years ago, when one of the most vocal hams
against amplifiers on 160 meters (at a time when we were allowed 200 watts
INPUT power) constantly said  people needed a good antenna like his. Turned
out he was running a pair of 813's to an average antenna.

Another guy wrote an article in CQ about his special "highly efficient" 80
meter vertical. He used to beat everyone with his vertical and claimed he
was running 200 watts or less.  His buddy ratted him out, he was running a
4CX5000.

Then there was a well know W8 in southern Ohio with a big 75 meter signal
(in all directions) from a collinear array. Turns out he ran a pair of VERY
big bottles.

Think about that the next time someone is pinning needles in every
direction at the same time, or someone's "quad" just happens to be ten dB
louder than everyone else in his area with antennas that should only be a
few dB down.

73 Tom