[TowerTalk] Antenna Gain and Take-off Angle

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Antenna Gain and Take-off Angle
From: Dick Green" <dick.green@valley.net (Dick Green)
Date: Mon, 2 Nov 1998 01:36:44 -0500
I just got a great propagation program called WinCap Wizard. It has
provision for entering gain and take-off angle data for up to three
different antennas, and I'd like to try some predictions with numbers for my
setup. I have an 80M Inverted Vee with the apex up about 65 ft. (probably an
all-angle, all-azimuth radiator), a 40M 4-square with 60 radials per
element, and a TH-7 on a 72' tubular crankup. I figured I would start by
trying some theoretical numbers from the literature, but those sources
probably won't give me much help with the TH-7 at different heights. Given
that my goal is to get "reasonably accurate" propagation predictions for
DXing and contesting, is it worth buying one of the modeling programs? If
so, what program would you recommend for a non-designer (i.e., cheap and
easy-to-use?) Should I go through the trouble (and expense) of modeling
terrain? My gut tells me that a high degree of accuracy here is gilding the
lily, but what say ye?

By the way, I highly recommend WinCap Wizard: http://www.taborsoft.com (not
affiliated, etc., etc.)

73, Dick, WC1M