Fw: [TowerTalk] Force 12 C3S Experience

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Fw: [TowerTalk] Force 12 C3S Experience
From: k9ig@contesting.com (Greg Clark)
Date: Thu, 05 Nov 1998 18:53:49 -0500
Folks
I replied to Natan privately from work today, but I wanted to share some
info with the group.

The elements were put together correctly.  A to A, B to B...pretty
simple.  I'm also of the mindset that if it doesn't work in a certain
configuration...maybe I had it backwards.  I didn't.

I think some thought that I had to drill new holes at every section
junction.  Not true.

What I ended up with was out of 3 rivet holes....2 would line up fine
but the 3rd was off enough that I could not get a rivet in the hole.
The result was I had to re-drill or drill out the 3rd hole to be able to
get a rivet in.

For the whole antenna, I had to do this 16 times.

As for ground effect and tuning.  I don't agree with that
interpretation.

I have tuned all of my mono-banders via this method with great success.
I also don't believe that there was much effect proven by the 20m SWR
was just about on the money per the manual.  The 15m curve was pretty
close as well.  By lengthening the 15m element, the SWR moved just as
advertised in the manual.  If ground effect were to have come into play,
I don't believe that I would have been able to get the 15 and 20m
results from the manual.  I was just not a happy camper for the 10m
plots.  I got it to work, but it was not a plug and play operation.

I also told Natan I was not upset at Force 12....I'm sure I'll buy more
of their hardware, I just wanted to let some of the others that had
issues know that they were not alone.

73/Greg
K9IG