[TowerTalk] Concrete 101

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Concrete 101
From: Hank.Lonberg@harrisgrp.com (Hank Lonberg)
Date: Fri, 06 Nov 1998 9:06 -0800
     Hello out there in towerland:

     I've been reading with interest the latest thread on rebar and
     concrete. I thought I would try to explain some of the questions. I am
     doing this in the light of helping everyone get a better understanding
     of reinforced concrete and how it works.

     First off, dobie blocks are not uncommon. I see them at Home Depot and
     Lumber yards all the time. Call your local ready mix supplier and ask
     where to get them. You only want to use a few to space the bars and
     keep them out of the dirt. This means both the sides and the bottom of
     the hole. The use of pavers is ok but do not make a solid mat as this
     defeats the whole reinforced concrete process. The reinforcing steel
     must be surrounded by the concrete mix to be effective, this is the
     idea behind bond strength.

     The UBC, SBC, BOCA all reference ACI 318-95 for reinforced concrete
     design. This states that for concrete cast against soil there must be
     3 inches of concrete cover to the reinforcing steel. Do not place the
     bars directly in the soil for two reasons; first, you will not get the
     complete encasement of the bar so less strength and also the bar will
     corrode quite quickly. Reinforcing steel when it starts to corrode
     acts like a wick or straw and corrodes along its length. When it
     corrodes it expands and cracks the concrete causing further exposure
     and so on.

     Rebar doesn't rust when encased in concrete because it has no direct
     air moisture interface. Also concrete when cured is not a sponge like
     structure. It has pores but they do not form channels through the
     concrete matrix. The only place where I have witnessed moisture
     migration through sound concrete is at high head (>100 feet) Dams
     where the water pressure on the upstream face of the dam actually over
     the years causes water to seep through the concrete. In some cases
     over 200 feet of solid concrete.

     Do not dump mixed concrete in the hole. This causes the wired cage of
     rebar to deform and shift and more importantly causes the concrete mix
     to separate with the heavy aggregrate and the concrete paste forming
     layers. You want as homogenous a mix of paste and aggregrate as
     possible. For inaccessable areas either pump or use a chute made of
     wood to place the concrete.

     Concrete can be placed in cold weather. Your local ready mix supplier
     has details. The concrete actually gives off heat when it cures. You
     need to insulate the forms or hole and cover after pouring to prevent
     surface freezing of the excess water and the formation of ice crystals
     in the concrete matrix. Ask the ready mix supplier to use heated
     aggregrate and hot water when they mix your batch.

     As far as giving engineering answers to vague inquires I not will to
     do that. I suggest you seek the help of a local structural/civil
     engineer to answer questions concerning specific installations.

     Remember, the rebar must not be against the soil. It should be tied in
     a designed and effective arrangement to do any good. If properly
     placed and compacted will outlast all of us, if not it will
     deteriorate quite quickly in the presence of moisture. I know that for
     a fact as one half of my present business is in the renovation and
     repair of 15+ year old industrial plants that were built without
     regard to these common sense facts.

     73

     Hank Lonberg / KR7X/ IH9P/ P.E.