[TowerTalk] Skewed Path to BQ9P

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Skewed Path to BQ9P
From: w8ji.tom@MCIONE.com (w8ji.tom)
Date: Fri, 13 Nov 1998 09:18:34 -0500

Snip.
> This morning I was listening to BQ9P from Pratas Island on my 40M
4-square
> (he was working JAs, unfortunately.) The bearing from here to Pratas is
> about 350 degrees, but I was surprised to find that BQ9P was noticably
> stronger on the Southwest element (190-280 degrees) than on the Northwest
> element (280-10 degrees). Neither signal moved the S-meter, but the
signal
> from the SW was definitely louder. This phenomenon lasted throughout the
> brief opening from about 1000z to 1130z. Just as I was about to hit
'SEND'
> on this message, a W8 posted a spot on the PacketCluster calling out BQ9P
at
> 220 degress. Nice to know I wasn't just imagining this and that nothing
is
> wrong with my 4-square!

Hi Dick,

That happens all the time. I used to work VS6DO, and his signal would vary
from southwest to northwest on 160, 80 and 40.

The VK's sometimes come in southwest, sometimes northwest, and most of the
time due west.
ZL's vary from SW to W. I've even worked Europeans and Russians due east.

I use the transmitting antenna that hears the strongest signal from the DX
(NOT the one with the best S/N ratio). So much for true north.

73 Tom