[TowerTalk] Crank-up Reality check

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Crank-up Reality check
From: dick@libelle.com (Dick Flanagan)
Date: Sat, 14 Nov 1998 20:18:05 -0800
>After talking with a few locals about their installations I had decided on a
>US Tower model TX 472 rated at 18 sq. ft max allowable antenna area @ 50mph.
>Problem is that this rating drops to 7.3 sq. ft at 70 mph and I calculate
>about 5 sq. ft at 75 mph.  Upgrading to a TX 572 rated at 30 sq. ft at 50 mph
>solves the problem but at twice the expense and seems like overkill for what
>seems to be common practice for supporting a small tribander and a few VHF
>goodies.  Obviously with the approach of a winter storm which roll in here
>from the Gulf of Alaska with some forewarning, thoughts would drift towards
>cranking down the crank up.  Still even if I could get a permit through these
>figures are a worry.
>
>Any thoughts from those familiar with this class of antenna system?

The problem I see is that you will be "stuck" with a smaller antenna, you
won't be able to easily upgrade to a second or larger antenna.  I would
suggest you go with the larger HDX-572 if you can afford it.  Not only will
it work now, but it will give you room to grow and add a bit more aluminum
in the future without worry.

I would also HIGHLY suggest you bite the bullet and get the motorized winch
option regardless of which tower you go with.  If you intend to raise and
lower the tower as weather dictates, you need it.  Hand winching a 72 foot
tower is neither quick nor easy.  The winch is especially nice if you need
to have a family member bring the tower down in the face of sudden bad
weather.  My 5-1 XYL can easily throw the appropriate toggle switch to
bring the tower down.  She would not be able to bring it down by hand.

You can check http://www.qsl.net/w6old/antenna.html to check out our
installation.

Good luck with whatever you choose to do.

73, Dick

--
Dick Flanagan W6OLD CFII Minden, Nevada DM09db (South of Reno)
Visit http://www.qsl.net/cvrc/