[TowerTalk] Connectors for 75 ohm hardline

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Connectors for 75 ohm hardline
From: aa6eg@hh.tmx.com (Pat Barthelow)
Date: Sun, 15 Nov 1998 12:43:18 -0800 (PST)
HI Bill, et al...

For 75 ohm CATV hardline, just hacksaw some (4ea) slots co-linearly with
a cleanly cut end, on the aluminum jacket..   Make the slots on opposite
sides of the center conductor, and about 2" long.  Dig out the foamed
dielectric with a pair
of needle nosed pliers, and an exacto knife.  Dig out to a depth of about
2".  Clean off the residual foam insulation from the copper center
conductor, which is usually aluminum cored; same for the inside of the
aluminum jacket.. Try not to gouge the copper center coating too much.
Gently push on a standard  UHF barrel fitting to the close fitting center
conductor, and use a hose clamp to clamp the shield to the barrel.
Weatherproof the fitting as necessary.  If your sources of CATV cable
allow choices, be sure and get NON flooded type of cable.  Otherwise, the
flooding goo is difficult to remove from the inside of the shield, and
center conductor....Though I am told that acetone can remove flooding
goo....

We are using many such connectors at N6IJ....work great!

73, DX, de Pat, AA6EG/N6IJ;

aa6eg@hh.tmx.com
599 DX Drive, Marina CA 93933
"The Contest Station from the Government"