[TowerTalk] RE: Connectors for 75 ohm hardline

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] RE: Connectors for 75 ohm hardline
From: basalop@gte.net (Jim Berry)
Date: Mon, 16 Nov 1998 00:01:16 -0800

Mike, N7ML wrote:

>     a.. DO NOT use penetrox because with time it will migrate and cause a
> blow out (always in the middle of a European run in a contest)

That do make sense.  I have not stuck the probes of my DMM into the stuff,
but if it is conductive, and I would assume it is, it could very well cause
trouble.  The secret to getting away with using disimilar metals is keeping
the oxygen out.

>     b.. DO use silicone grease between the aluminum shield and the barrel
> connector to keep corrosion down.

Silcon grease and a GOOD mechanical connection sure makes sense to me.

>     c.. Seal it as well as you can

> Anymore, I try to use hard splices as much as possible for the
> longest term
> solution.  I use 1/8 inch hobby store brass tubing that I slit
> longitudinally with a dremel tool to slip over the center conductors that
> are butted together and soldered.

I want to go the same route.

>  Then I lay the copper shield of RG-11
> over the aluminum shield and smear it up with plenty of silicone
> grease and seal it well.

I will give aluminum flashing a try.  Seems like a wrap of that stuff held
in place by stainless steel hose clamps would do the trick.

73 Jim K7SLI