[TowerTalk] Bencher Skyhawk Caveats

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Bencher Skyhawk Caveats
From: rodman@acsu.buffalo.edu (D. Rodman, MD)
Date: Mon, 16 Nov 1998 06:44:49 -0500 (EST)
I purchased one of the latest runs off the assembly line of a Bencher
Skyhawk.  There was a recall due to a balun problem.  Some interesting
points I encountered were:

1. Each antenna element came separated in its own bag.  Assembly time was
cut down tremendously as no hunting for parts occured in 40 F temps.

2. The boom pieces were NOT labeled.  This took a bit extra time to locate
the sections, but they seem to only have ONE correct orientation.

3. Element positions are pre-drilled.  No balancing of elements is
required to achieve parallel.

4. Rivets speed assembly of the tips.  No measurements are required.

5. Two men started the job at 1:30 PM and finished assembly about 4:30 PM.

Unquestionably, this tribander has certain performance tradeoffs.
However, I give extremely high marks to the mechanical design.  It was
about 1/5 the work of the X9 which I built earlier in the year.  I plan to
have it up by the end of the month.  Hopefully, electrical performance
will not be disappointing either.

David J. Rodman, MD
Assistant Clinical Professor
Department of Ophthalmology