[TowerTalk] Spec for coax -- direct bury

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Spec for coax -- direct bury
From: n8ug@juno.com (n8ug@juno.com)
Date: Tue, 17 Nov 1998 08:07:45 -0500
Hi Stokely, and thanks for the query.
Most all truly burial cable has a polyethylene jacket, for several
reasons. It is the least permeable to moisture, and very tough and scuff
proof. There is a mistaken idea that MIL SPEC and/or NCV(non
contaminating vinyl) means good for direct burial - indeed some
advertisers and authors encourage this notion. It is not true and never
has been.
Further buriability is available with a moisture-blocking compound
included in the cable's shield area - kind of like a self sealing tire.
It is more expensive, of course, and is valuable in direct immersion,
abusive soils, etc. There is also armored cable available, for extreme
conditions.
In the amateur line, there is good poly covered coax that satisfies the
greatest need, if direct burial is chosen over "in a tube." These include
"Bury-Flex" , 113PE(an RG213 with poly), the LMR line, and hardline.
"Flooded, or "moisture blocked" versions are also available in the LMR
series. In the "8" size, prices range from 45 to about 90 cents per foot.
We can help with any of these, or supply greater detail in a specific
situation if you wish.
Hope this helps
Press Jones, N8UG, The Wireman, Inc., Landrum, SC, 29356
Sales (800)727-WIRE(9473) or  orders@thewireman.com
Tech help (864)895-4195 or  n8ug@thewireman.com
www.thewireman.com  and the WIRELINE bargain page
Our 21st year!

On Mon, 16 Nov 1998 18:26:16 EST W3SB@aol.com writes:

>Hello,
>Is there a MIL SPEC or an outer jacket material spec for RG8 type coax
>that
>will be directly buried in the ground?  Tnx.
>73 de Stokley, W3SB
>

>--

or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866]