[TowerTalk] Air wound bauln?

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Air wound bauln?
From: alsopb@gloryroad.net (alsopb)
Date: Wed, 18 Nov 1998 12:03:03 +0000
I recently dissected a commercial (name witheld here) bauln.  It failed
due to failure of the enamel coating between the trifilar windings.

It was a 1:1 bauln supposedly covering the ham bands and rated "1.5Kw".

It was air wound with no ferrite.  The windings were on a 1" diameter
plastic pipe form (23 trifilar windings of #14 enameled wire)
It had been used on 20-10 meters only.

The last air wound design I saw was a 4:1 Heath-Kit design one.  It used
two coils of about 12" long and 3" in diameter.

Question: Is this a legit design?  The absence of the ferrite rod makes
me wonder.  If this design is an invalid one I will disclose the name of
the manufacturer.

73 de Brian/K3KO