[TowerTalk] Windload & guying

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Windload & guying
From: barrie99@marsweb.com (barrie99@marsweb.com)
Date: Tue, 24 Nov 1998 20:44:42 -0700
Hello:

I'm new here, so I hope I have the right questions!

I have a 18" face, 70' Glenn Martin tower, with hazer.  I'm in the
(nervous) process of building a 28' wide by 30' high H-frame for 4 30'
boom 6M yagis.  I'm using the M2 az and elevation rotators.

My claculations indicate that I'll have about 30 square feet on the
tower.

I lost a similar tower with about 40 square feet on it a few years ago
in a freak, 110 MPH wind storm.  I was only guyed at the top at that
time.  That tower withstood winds of near 70 MPH several times.

Gurus told me that the reason the tower came down was because I was not
guyed at lower levels, and the tower "bowed".

It is very unusual for the wind to blow over 70 MPH at my location, but
evidently it can.

I'd like to guy this new installation more securely.  I will guy at the
top, of course.  Should I then guy once more, or twice more?

Any input will be appreciated, especially those with experience with the
strengths and weaknesses of the Glen Martin tower and hazer.

Thank you, Barrie, W7ALW, DN36au