[TowerTalk] Re: Silver Plated Ground strap

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Re: Silver Plated Ground strap
From: Pat Barthelow <aa6eg@hh.tmx.com> (Pat Barthelow)
Date: Tue, 24 Nov 1998 13:11:18 -0800 (PST)

I use salvaged silver plated braid from Mil  spec coax for ground strap.
Does the special properties of silver oxide (very low resistance) obviate
the problems discussed about high rf resistance of broad braided cables?
BTW, I worked a couple of years at the Indianapolis Motor Speedway,
(Timing and Scoring) and saw the networks there replacing literally MILES
of 75 ohm double shielded (Silver plated) video (complete replacement
every 2 years) coax. Friendly chatter with the
techs there allowed me to salvage as mouch as I wanted.  Apparently
when $100 million is in the balance,  in  broadcast revenue, the cost of
replacement of the coax gained more in reliability for the  broadcast than
the cost of the coax.  Local hams might want to check in with IMS about
the coax.....

73, DX, de  Pat, AA6EG/N6IJ;

PLEASE NOTE MY NEWLY REVISED EMAIL ADDRESS....

aa6eg@hh.tmx.com

599 DX Drive, Marina CA 93933
"The Contest Station from the Government"