[TowerTalk] Tower Loading

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Tower Loading
From: W4EF@pacbell.net (Michael Tope)
Date: Thu, 26 Nov 1998 18:40:08 -0000
Gerry,

Even without the TH-11DX on top, a 72 foot tower should look
like at leat a 1/4 lambda on 80 meters. With the antenna installed, my
guess is that the structure will be resonant somewhere around 2.5 to 3 MHz.
What did you use to measure the "dip"? and how for up the tower is the
shunt arm tap? I am not sure that the shunt arm parameters (spacing,
tap point) will overcome the the electrical shortness of your tower/
antenna, but I would still expect that you should be able to get the match
point down to around 3 MHz without adding more toploading.

I once used a 55' TV tower gamma fed for 160. Although I probably had more
top loading (it had 40 and 80 meter dipoles plus a A3 tribander on top),
the antenna worked okay considering the limited number of radials that
I could get down (match was good, efficiency - probably moderate).