[TowerTalk] Temporary guying

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Temporary guying
From: mlowell@noclant.navy.mil (Lowell, Mark)
Date: Mon, 30 Nov 98 11:02:20 -0400
Greetings;

When erecting Rohn guyed towers, what is the generally accepted maximum
number of freestanding sections you climb before attaching a temporary or
permanent guy? I have seen people climb on three sections before attaching
a guy without much trouble. I think I would go no more than two. One guy
said you can get away with four but that's completely out of the question
in my mind. I thought he was craaazy!
 I have never seen any of the locals use temporary guys, but I'm not that
brave (or foolish?). My permanent guy points will be 35 feet apart.

 What kind of schemes are you using for temporary guying? Would low-stretch
(static-type) climbing ropes or accessory cord make a good temporary guy?
They could be varied in length using ascenders and carabiners that you
could take up with you to each tower section as you go. It seems that you
just need enough tension (and a minimum of stretch) to keep the uppermost
section from moving more than 1-2 inches or so.

Thanks,

Mark, N1LO, Gloucester, VA