[TowerTalk] AEA CIA-HF

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] AEA CIA-HF
From: Dick Green" <dick.green@valley.net (Dick Green)
Date: Sun, 13 Dec 1998 01:36:25 -0500
It's great. Quality design, quality construction. Amazingly versitile. One
of AEA's goals was to provide a lab-quality instrument at a ham price. I
think they've come pretty close. The graphical display is incredibly useful.
A large list of individual data values is available, too. You can dump the
data values and curve points to your computer via RS-232. Great for keeping
charts on file for later comparison. Can't imagine needing any more data.
Fabulous for antenna analysis, but also the easiest unit to use for
measuring cable loss, cable length, cutting phasing lines and stubs, etc.
Far and away the best analyzer for hams.

Negatives? No PC software yet, although it is rumored to be on the way (I
wrote my own data capture using a comm. program and did the charts in
Excel.) Battery consumption is very high, so get the AC adapter. I use it in
the shack with the adapter a lot. For outdoor measurements, I use internal
NiCads. The voltage is lower than alkalines and they don't last very long,
but usually I don't need to make too many measurements. There's certainly
enough juice to prune a dipole or take readings on a beam up the tower. AEA
recommends using a portable lead acid battery for extended use in the field.

I've used the (old) MFJ-259 and the Autek RF-1. They're fine for what they
are, and I understand that the new MFJ-259B is very good (although there
have been reports of quality problems -- probably a temporary thing.) The
Autek is certainly the most portable and battery efficient, but not very
easy to use (tuning is really hard.) The MFJ tuning is easier, but no fine
tune. With the AEA, you just enter the frequency you want. Defintely the
easiest. I did some measurements with an accurate frequency counter. The
Autek oscillator drifts quite a bit, the MFJ is solid after a few minutes
warmup, and the AEA is rock solid the second you turn it on and stays that
way. The AEA oscillator also has high output (5V p-p, I think), hence the
battery drain.

If you can afford this unit, and you have use for its functions, buy it. You
won't regret it. By the way, get the carrying case -- it's really nice and
has a miniature gorilla hook for snapping onto your belt while climbing the
tower.

73, Dick, WC1M