[TowerTalk] HyGain trap refurb

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] HyGain trap refurb
From: w7why@harborside.com (Tom Osborne)
Date: Thu, 17 Dec 1998 08:02:36 -0800
Hi All
I had a couple of questions about the trap rebuilds.  I found
that
the easiest way to take them apart was to take the cover screw
out
then put the end of the trap with the screw hole against my desk
and just grab the cover and push it toward the desk.  The cover
came right off that way.  Inside the trap are 4 spacers.  2 on
the
end with the screw hole, and 2 on the open end of the trap cover.
When the trap coil comes out, the 2 on the inside end of the trap
either stay inside the cover or come out with the assembly.  I
had
it happen both ways.  After I got it out, I took the two spacers
off
the outside end and laid them on the desk.  When it is time to
put the trap back together, you have to be sure the 2 spacers on
the inside are either on the coil assembly or inside the cover.
Then carefully slip the coil assembly back inside the cover.  To
put the 2 spacers back in the open end, I put the first one over
the
tubing and then took a piece of tubing big enough to go over the
trap tubing and used it to push the inside spacer up tight
against
the coil.  Kinda like using a ramrod in rifle.  Then I put the
outside
one about ½ inch inside the cover and put the end caps back
on.  Then by Roger's suggestion, I taped the end caps with  one
layer of 3M tape and drilled a small hole in the outside cap on
the
15 meter traps for another drain hole.  He said all the HyGain
traps
come out with the drain hole now.
Another thing I did was to replace all the tubing clamps.  The
ones
that were on there were metal and they had rusted badly.  I
discarded
them and put stainless steel compression hose clamps on.  Hope
this helps.  73
Tom W7WHY