[TowerTalk] fractal antenna

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] fractal antenna
From: k1vr@juno.com (Fred Hopengarten)
Date: Wed, 23 Dec 1998 17:43:56 EST
From:
Fred Hopengarten  K1VR               781/259-0088
Six Willarch Road
Lincoln, MA 01773-5105
permanent e-mail address:  fhopengarten@mba1972.hbs.edu

I know Chip (N1IR) quite well, and I've seen the math behind his antenna
designs.  It is my opinion that he should characterize fractal antennas
as providing substantial reduction in size while minimizing reduction in
performance.

Fractal antenna designs are NOT an April Fool's joke.  They work.  If
antenna size is a concern (and there are many applications where this is
true, usually resulting in a substantial reduction in performance),
fractal antennas offer neat solutions.  However, they can be difficult to
implement below 21 or 28 MHz (i.e., 21 or 28 MHz and up).

However, if you are interested in 1.8-21 MHz, other antennas may be
easier to implement. -- Fred

On Wed, 23 Dec 1998 15:49:39 -0600 "MAERTZ, A REID" <amaertz@oppd.com>
writes:

>Greetings and Merry Christmas:
>
>I have researching  fractal antennas for amateur applications.  I see
>N1IR had written an article about a ten meter fractal in which he
>describes some rather significant qualities of this antenna with
>respect
>to gain and f/b (over 25db!).  All from an antenna (a "quad yagi") of
>quite small dimensions. See www.fractenna.com/ham/hampage1.html.
>
>I've looked over half of the TT archives, but haven't found anything
>addressing this antenna in them.  Has anyone been doing anything with
>this antenna in the amateur arena  that they'd care to share?  At
>first
>glance, it looks like a significant path for antenna innovation with a
>lot of potential for those needing reduced size antennas in hf or
>application for super gain vhf/uhf antennas could exist.
>
>Reid
>W0FVR
>
>--

or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866]