[TowerTalk] Mosley Traps and Henry 3ks -- Thanks for replies

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Mosley Traps and Henry 3ks -- Thanks for replies
From: K7LXC@aol.com (K7LXC@aol.com)
Date: Thu, 24 Dec 1998 18:42:25 EST
In a message dated 98-12-24 16:50:54 EST, jreid@aloha.net writes:

> Rcv'd many responses.  Thanks to all,  even those who don't
>  care for Mosley antennas;  yes,  I heard the talk at Dayton
>  last May,  hi.  Were the Mosley folks upset -- you bet.  They
>  requested an opportunity to respond to the speakers points,
>  no way was that to be allowed!!

      Hold on here just a minute, Senor. Since I was at the Dayton
presentation myself (actually I gave it), there was NO request from Mosley for
anything. Were they upset? People told us they were. Did they talk to me about
anything? No. I really don't have any idea what your remarks above relate to -
it sure didn't happen during the Antenna Seminar that I attended.

      I admit to one paranthetical remark disparaging Mosley antennas during
the presentation. But ALL of the test data that was presented was FROM OUR
TESTS. The protocol was followed exactly for all tests so the information
presented was emperical data that we're confident that anyone could duplicate
by following the protocol. (Actually we hope that people DO just that. That
way they can add to the discussion.)

      In July, 1998, we sent a letter to Gary at Mosley inviting him to
participate in our antenna test. To date, we have not heard anything from him
or them. Here's a copy of the letter:

"Mr. Gary Stonecker
President, Mosley Electronics Corporation
St. Louis, MO

Dear Gary;

It's been quite a while since we last crossed paths at an MVDXCC meeting -
1982, maybe?  I talk to some of the gang on occasion, but have only run across
Jim Glasscock, WØFF, maybe once in that time.  Even in a hobby supposedly
geared to "communication", it is easy to lose contact, so to speak.

I'm writing for a couple of reasons.  First, enclosed with this letter is a
copy of the report on antenna testing that I wrote in association with Steve
Morris, K7LXC.  All manufacturers of antennas that were tested are receiving a
copy.  I'm sure that the engineering staffs will all have an interest in how
the tests were conducted and how conclusions were drawn.

Secondly, I believe you were in attendance at the presentation Steve made at
Dayton and so I wanted to discuss our report with you directly.  As you review
the report, I think you'll agree that I was very careful not to draw
conclusions beyond those which our data can support.  I do call attention to
performance outside the norm in either direction, but fairly, I hope.  I
realize that in the "heat of presentation" Steve made a remark about Mosley
for which we both apologize - it is not our intention (or within our ability)
to make a case for or against any particular manufacturer or product line as a
consequence of these tests.  This is pointed out several times in the written
presentation.

Ralph Favins, N7KGA, mentioned to me that he had spoken with you about the
report after the presentation.  Apparently the PRO-77A is not currently being
marketed in the North American market as a competitive amateur antenna.  Is
this true?  It was our intent to test roughly equivalent products from the
major antenna manufacturers.

In the interest of including the best of the Mosley designs, we would like to
extend the offer to include a top-of-the-line antenna in our next set of
testing, to be conducted either this fall or in the early spring of next year.
This test is expected to include the X-9 and A3 from Cushcraft and the
Force-12 C-31XR.  The updated results would be published with gain, front-to-
back, and VSWR tables completely updated and including data from all tests.  I
hope you'll agree to provide Mosley's best, and we'll be happy to include it
in our test program.

Once again - apologies for any off the cuff remarks that may have reflected
poorly on Mosley, in contrast to the careful set of data and discussions in
our published report.  I have used Mosley antennas in the past with great
success - the CL-36 at WØEEE did a crackerjack job!  If we can include a
similar performer in our results our test program will be the better for it.

Sincerely and with very 73's, Ward Silver N0AX"

      The ball is in Mosley's court. For anyone interested in the
aforementioned presentation/discussion, our tribander comparison report is
available from Champion Radio Products at either http://www.championradio.com
or 888-833-3104. It's over 60 pages of data sets, protocol and results and is
fifteen bucks plus s/h.

>  Seems Henrys work just fine for some folks,  and Mosley's
>  also for some of us.

      As some wonderful TowerTalkians have said, "you're as loud as you think
you are".

>  Have a wonderful Holiday Season,  and love your family!!

      Thank you and the same to you.

Cheers,    Steve    K7LXC
Champion Radio Products
Tower Tech