[TowerTalk] De-ice a rotator ?

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] De-ice a rotator ?
From: N0OEL@aol.com (N0OEL@aol.com)
Date: Fri, 25 Dec 1998 09:20:34 EST
Hi Bert!
The amateurs of the Minnesota area, where you really test cold wxr problems,
usually find that rotors will stiffen up if the grease inside the rotor is not
a lithiam (sp?) type grease which permits operating at a lower temp.
Regardless,
the most effective approach I have seen where this freezing problem occurs is
one
I dont recommend is to run a 110 volt line up the tower and put either a heat
strip or
magnetic heater type device used for automobiles engine heating at the rotor
base.    I am just not nuts about running 110 volts up my tower I guess.
But it
does work!

I would suggest having the rotor serviced using lithiam grease and dont use a
lot of
grease.   Like you have seen on this reflector use about a thimble full of
grease.
I use a Ham IV greased this way and have no problems.

Couriously enough, we find the rotor that has the most problem here is the old
Ham M and the current Hygain Tailtwister.    Dont know why but that seems to
be
the case.

Good luck.    There is no easy answer to the problem but would be curious if
you
try the auto engine heater idea let us know how it works.

73
Mike
K0BUD