[TowerTalk] Windloading

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Windloading
From: w8ji.tom@MCIONE.com (w8ji.tom)
Date: Sun, 27 Dec 1998 12:42:13 -0500
Hi Kurt,

One thing I learned about evaluating data is to take things to the limits
and see what the changes are.

> Rohn is telling you and everyone else that the total load is regardless
of
> location on the tower, because this is the simplest, and safest way to
approach
> the problem in the absence of a specific analytical solution.
> If I didn't have the time or resources to figure it out properly, I'd say
the same
> thing.

I'd wager that is exactly what is going on. The "telephone engineers"
almost certainly operate under well defined rules that they NOT add-to or
subtract-from published data. The general orders when answering questions
in areas with potential liability is that "published data is the law, and
you are out the door if you deviate from those guidelines".

> This type of boilerplate instruction does not lead to any kind of
enhanced
> understanding about  the problem.

I assume the correct answer is "Yes, wind load capability increases with
portions of the load placed lower on the tower, we just don't know by how
much"?

Are there any general guidelines? I'm also planning on installing a system
using distributed antennas, and willing to take a reasonable chance since
the tower is out in the clear.

73 Tom