[TowerTalk] 40-2cd questions

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] 40-2cd questions
From: n2tk@idsi.net (N2TK)
Date: Tue, 29 Dec 1998 12:18:04 -0500
I will be tilting over the tower to replace the boom with a 2" x .125" x 24'
piece of aluminum tubing. This will add a few more feet separation as I
won't be using the strut anymore. This has seemed to work for several of the
locals for the past couple of years without a boom failure.
While I have the beam apart I thought it would be a good time to replace the
u-bolts with ss and cast aluminum saddles from Harbach. I will also clean
all the joints and use rivets.

Would it make sense to insulate the reflector as on the new Cushcraft beam?
I assume the dimensions would change. Is the increase in performance, if
any, even worth considering?

After reading the messages about the balun situation,  I'm going to replace
the ferrite bead balun with 12 single layer turns of RG-213 on a 4.25" form
like suggested in the K1TTT/ WA2SRQ article. The present ferrite bead balun
is 6 of the large Cho-sorb beads slipped over the RG-213. Does the single
layer of coax seem like the correct way to go for a balun?

Tnx for any input and suggestions, and have a Happy New Year
Tony