[TowerTalk] PROP-PITCH ANSWERS

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] PROP-PITCH ANSWERS
From: k2qbv@cyburban.com (Joel)
Date: Sat, 16 Jan 1999 13:03:04 -0500
Hope my posting helps alot of people out there who are not aware of the
specs of the small PROP PITCH rotator. Here are some fast facts and a
place to get more info.

1, The article in  June 1949 QST  was dreamed up by a fellow who did not
have a big array and  wanted his antenna to turn faster.

2,By having the modification done,and if you have a  sizeable antenna
load the P/P will windmill.  . This has been proven  by my using two
"mod units" on two towers using a TH6DXX tribander and by many other
radio operators on "towertalk"alone.

3,If you don't have a modified P/P and run the motor over 9,000 rpm, you
will first burn out the brushes and second the rest of the unit.  The
prop pitch was designed to run   at 24-28 volts dc..

SOMETIME AGO I PUT TOGETHER A BOOKLET  (56 PAGES) CALLED
"EVERYTHING YOU WANTED TO KNOW ABOUT YOUR PROP  PITCH ROTATOR" The
booklet contains the Curtis Wright Manual and all articles/reprints on
the P/P since 1949 from QST,CQ and more.  Copies can be obtained from
FIRST CALL COMMUNICATIONS- Email at firstcall@cyburban.com.  Cost is
$10.00 plus $3.00 US Mail

If anyone needs an (unmodified) Prop Pitch unit, please contact me.  I
still have several left that I refurbished last year. These units come
with the standard side trust bearing plate.  Also there was  one fellow
on towertalk that needed  a big rotator. I have an original TELREX
ROTATOR SYSTEM (control compass) in the wooden box it came in..  Never
used.

An interesting little comment is that I first got into  Curtis Wright
units when they sold for $5.00 at Harrison Radio on Greenwich Street in
Manhattan  in the middle 1950s

Hope the above info helps out a little.

Joel Kornreich, K2QBV
FIRST CALL COMMUNICATIONS,INC
(a direct distributor for US TOWER CORPORATION)
Toll free 800 HAMTOWER
E mail >firstcall@cyburban.com<
Web page.  www.firstcallcom.net