[TowerTalk] SO-239 covers

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] SO-239 covers
From: K7LXC@aol.com (K7LXC@aol.com)
Date: Tue, 19 Jan 1999 13:30:11 EST
In a message dated 99-01-19 13:10:35 EST, Jepilot@aol.com writes:

<< What can be used to effectively protect an unused SO-239 female connector
from
 the elements?  Example is the unused connectors at an antenna relay box
 mounted on a tower.  I know that tape simply will not last.  >>

         Actually commercial installers and TowerTalkians use electrical tape
most of the time. The trick is to use Scotch 33 or 88 and not the cheap 'three
for a buck' hardware store varieties.

       The problem with many connectors is  that there isn't a lot of room
around the connector to apply the tape. Do the best you can and then apply
some Liquid Electrical Tape over the joint. That'll be pretty bombproof.

        Cushcraft makes a rubber boot but I personally have found them mostly
unusable. I don't know what their longterm service life is like.

      Many commercial joints use heatshrink tubing. It's easy to apply and
peels off with a razor knife. The good stuff has glue impregnated inside for
adhesion and it also fills the voids. It's expensive - $1.00 an inch isn't
unusual - but very good. Regular heatshrink tubing eventually expands due to
UV and will come off of the joint so it is NOT recommended.

Cheers,   Steve   K7LXC