[TowerTalk] Update on Radiotron

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Update on Radiotron
From: cebik@utkux.utcc.utk.edu (L. B. Cebik)
Date: Wed, 20 Jan 1999 11:35:56 -0500 (EST)
I want to thank all those who made offers of help on locating a Radiotron
Designer's Handbook.  Think the quest is now fulfilled.

I have heard that the CDROM version is available on closeout at one
source.  I hope that does not mean that the CDROM will disappear as did
the paper version.  Those who have them should preserve their CDROMs
carefully, since someday someone will ask if they can make a copy on a
read-write ROM machine (after copyrights run out, of course).

I tend to place the Radiotron in roughly the same category as Terman's
Radio Engineers' Handbook as a valuable resource.  With current
compendiums of electronics using so much space on the latest
sophistications of basic concepts, much of the fundamental material has
been omitted and needs a helpful foundation from Terman and from
Langford-Smith (editor of Radiotron).  {Side note:  even Gary Breed is
concerned that in the UHF/microwave wireless field, some older and still
very useful fundamentals may become lost in the flow of the very latest
developments and will devote space in his journal (Applied Microwave &
Wireless) to seeing that this does not happen.}

Again, my thanks to all who responded.  Nice to know that there are so
many helpful folks in the world.

-73-

LB, W4RNL