[TowerTalk] Re: Lube for prop pitch

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Re: Lube for prop pitch
From: k2qbv@cyburban.com (Joel)
Date: Tue, 26 Jan 1999 21:19:44 -0500
Dear John,

Glad to help you out.

The noise may be  and probably is a bearing inside the gearbox.

First I would not suggest any oil at all.  True, the first units made (in the
fortys)  had an oil called Avrex 903 but that was many years go and seals do
leak after a period of time.  I also would not  suggest running the unit dry
like some people do(big mistake). I still have Avrex 903 left over but I used
that many years ago when first rebuilding the units and now know better.

What you need to do is drain out the oil if any is inside and put in  lithium
grease.  The best kind is made by Arctic Cat Snowmobile company. The product is
called;
                                                                     Low temp
snowmobile grease..Part # 0636-593  lithium 12 Hydroxy
                                                                      Sterate
grease cartridge
The lithium product also works well at high temp..

If you take the prop pitch apart, use a glove and grease  the inside lightly in
all spots.

Have fun,

Joel, K2QBV
First Call Communications,Inc.