[TowerTalk] EWE vs K9AY LOOP

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] EWE vs K9AY LOOP
From: n2tk@idsi.net (Tony Kazmakites)
Date: Thu, 28 Jan 1999 13:34:18 -0500
Hi Stew.
Here is what I did. I have 3 ewes that are 15' high X 38' long. I feed each
end with a box at each end that houses a relay, terminating resistor and a
9:1 transformer. I feed 12v through the coax. I use a Top 10 remote coax
switch. This switch modifies real easy to feed 12v to the active port. This
gives me 6 directions.
I put up a K9AY loop a few months ago and pointed towards Europe. I used a
390 ohm resistor. I compared it to my NE ewe. On 160 it is slightly better.
On 80m it was about the same. I changed the resistor on the K9AY loop to 590
ohms. It now favored 80m over the ewe. I found the K9AY loop to be sensitive
to the terminating resistor to either 80 or 160m. This suggest a relay box
to switch in resistors to find out if there is that much difference. I now
have the K9AY loop pointed west.
I just put up another K9AY loop. Both loops are in line, point west, and are
100' apart. I use a 2:1 transformer for feeding them. The coax going to the
back loop is 35' longer. Too soon to say if it's better. Not sure if I
should do something different for phasing them. Any input on this would be
appreciated.
The one thing that surprised  me is how directional the ewes are. Sometimes
it doesn't matter which direction I use. But most of the time I am glad I
have 6 directions. I am still not hearing near as well as the folks with the
long beverages, but the ewes beat out my 300' (max I can fit) beverages all
the time. One of these days I will hear the KH2 on 160.

Overall I found the K9AY loop to be quieter than the ewe.

One other note. I had a reference ewe to Europe that I used to compare what
I did with the 3 other ewes. I installed an insulated wire on the ground
tying together the ground and feed point ground rods. This sure improved the
front to side. So all 3 ewes now have the wire installed.